SolanoCountyRecovers: The official website for wildfire response and recovery.
How do I spot and protect myself against a fraudulent contractor?
- Only use contractors licensed by the state of California
- Get a written estimate of costs and get estimates from more than one contractor
- Demand and check references
- Ask for proof of insurance (liability and Worker’s Compensation)
- Insist on a written contract and refuse to sign a contract with blank spaces
- Get any guarantees in writing
- Make final payments only after the work is completed
- Pay by check