SolanoCountyRecovers: The official website for wildfire response and recovery.


Resources and information for consumers on wildfires are available from the California Department of Insurance. If you have any insurance questions or need assistance, the California Department of Insurance is here to help. Call: 1-800-927-4357 or visit

Homeowners' and Renters' Insurance Protection

Many homeowners are unaware that they may have coverage under their homeowners' and renters' insurance policies to help them with evacuation and recovery expenses. Additional living expense coverage, known as ALE, typically includes food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, and extra transportation expenses.

Evacuees should contact their insurance company to verify their ALE coverage provision and limits and learn about requirements to use the coverage. It is critical to keep all receipts and document the date, time, and names of any insurance company employees you speak to regarding your coverage and details of the conversation.

Additional tips for consumers

  • Policy provisions, including deductibles, vary by company, and residents should check with their insurance company or agent as soon as possible to confirm coverage, limits, and any other limitations and documentation requirements. Most renter's policies also typically include ALE coverage.
  • Consumers should make sure any insurance agent or public adjuster offering their services has a valid license by checking online with the Department of Insurance.
  • Download the Department's Top 10 Tips for Wildfire Claimants.
  • Public adjusters cannot solicit business for seven calendar days after the disaster.
  • Don't forget copies of insurance policies, important papers, and a photo or video inventory of your possessions. An inventory can be completed quickly and easily on your smart phone and safely stored in the Cloud.
Close window